May 27-29, 2020
Mohegan Sun Resort
$695 (early bird)
It is not sufficient for law enforcement personnel to confine their constitutional comfort levels and knowledge base to the Fourth and Fifth Amendments. Rather, in a time when citizens and employees alike are testing the waters of the First Amendment, law enforcement agencies must be prepared to respond to such challenges in a constitutionally-effective manner.
- Is your agency adequately prepared to deal with mass demonstrations which necessitate your agency employing First Amendment appropriate crowd control techniques?
- Is your agency prepared to defend against claims by your employees that a recent employment action violated the First Amendment?
- Is your agency prepared to defend against claims from citizens that your agency violated their freedom of speech by blocking them on social media or removing comments they made?
The First Amendment Summit will focus on these areas and help provide your agency with the confidence to respond in a constitutionally-minded manner.
What you’ll learn
Expert First Amendment training.
- First Amendment Basics
- Application of the First Amendment to Law Enforcement Administration and Operations
- The Role of Law Enforcement at First Amendment Events
- Crowd Management and Protecting Civil Rights
- First Amendment and Social Media for Law Enforcement
- Guarding Against First Amendment Employment-Based Claims
- Filming the Badge: The Rights and Limitations of the Public and Press to Film Law Enforcement
- Police Use of Social Media & The Constitution
What to expect
Learn from top instructors.
Learning at the 1A Summit:
- Three (3) Days of intense learning from top expert instructors
- Interaction with attendees from across the country who share ideas and lessons learned
- Digital access to actionable sample policies, presentations, videos and handouts you can take back and share with your agency
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Invitation to our evening Social Networking Event (amenities included)
- Training Certificate with hours at the conclusion of the Summit
What our previous attendees say.
The 1st Amendment Summit was a great opportunity to receive training and information that is timely and relevant to the law enforcement profession that was delivered by speakers who have first-hand knowledge of their craft. I highly recommend sending as many officers to this training as you can. You may think you can’t afford to send multiple officers, but you can’t afford NOT too.
– Sgt. Patrick Smart, Seabrook, NH Police Department
As stated at the beginning in education and training the First Amendment is often overlooked….however the First is where is all begins. Excellent education and training.
– Diane E. Hatfield, Deputy Director of the CT Judicial Academy
I thought the training on First Amendment issues was very relevant and highly beneficial; a great training session that I would highly recommend for professionals in all levels of law enforcement.
– Officer Anthony Ciampi, Biddeford Police Department
Save $100: Early Bird Registration
The First Amendment Summit provides your agency with the confidence to respond in a constitutionally-minded manner.